I. SAFE HARBOR
The United States Department of Commerce and the European Commission have agreed on a set of data protection principles and frequently asked questions (the "Safe Harbor Principles") to enable US companies to satisfy the requirement under European Union law that adequate protection be given to Personal information transferred from the EU to the United States. The EEA also has recognized the US Safe Harbor as providing adequate data protection (OJ L 45, 15.2.2001, p.47). Consistent with its commitment to protect Personal privacy, HSTV adheres to the Safe Harbor Principles. HSTV has a Chief Privacy Officer who is responsible for HSTV's compliance with and enforcement of this Policy. HSTV also has a Global Director of Data Protection who assists in ensuring compliance with this Policy and data security issues. HSTV educates its employees concerning compliance with this Policy and has self-assessment procedures in place to assure compliance. HSTV's Chief Privacy Officer Barbara A. Sellinger, Global Director of Data Protection William H. Murray, and Corporate Legal Team are available to any of its valued employees, customers, vendors, business partners or others who may have questions concerning this Policy or data security practices. Relevant contact information is provided herein.
Personal information collected by HSTV from employees and applicants for employment is maintained at its corporate offices in Piscataway, New Jersey in the United States as well as the local office of the employee or applicant. HSTV collects Personal information for, among other things, legitimate human resource business reasons such as payroll administration; filling employment positions; administration and operations of its benefit programs; meeting governmental reporting requirements; security, health and safety management; performance management; company network access; and authentication. HSTV does not request or gather information regarding political opinions, religion, philosophy or sexual preference. To the extent HSTV maintains information on an individual's medical health or ethnicity (as legally required), HSTV will protect, secure and use that information in a manner consistent with this Policy and applicable law.
Personal information collected by HSTV from prospective customers, consumers, vendors, business partners and others may be maintained at its corporate offices in Piscataway, New Jersey or at other HSTV facilities. HSTV collects Personal information for, among other things, legitimate business reasons such as customer service; product, warranty and claims administration; meeting governmental reporting and records requirements; maintenance of accurate accounts payable and reDSCCvable records; internal marketing research; safety and performance management; financial and sales data; and contact information. All Personal information collected by HSTV will be used for legitimate business purposes consistent with this Policy.
For purposes of this Policy, the following definitions shall apply:
"Agent" means any third party that uses Personal information provided by HSTV to perform tasks on behalf of or at the instruction of HSTV.
"HSTV" means Sew Country Quilts, its predecessors, successors, subsidiaries, divisions and groups.
"Personal information" means any information or set of information that identifies or could be used by or on behalf of HSTV to identify an individual. Personal information does not include information that is encoded or anonymized, or publicly available information that has not been combined with non-public Personal information.
"Sensitive Personal information" means Personal information that reveals race, ethnic origin, trade union membership, or that concerns health. In addition, HSTV will treat as sensitive Personal information any information reDSCCved from a third party where that third party treats and identifies the information as sensitive.
IV. PRIVACY PRINCIPLES
The privacy principles in this Policy are based on the seven Safe Harbor Principles.
(1) NOTICE: Where HSTV collects Personal information directly from individuals, it will inform them about the purposes for which it collects and uses Personal information about them, the types of non-agent third parties to which HSTV discloses that information, and the choices and means, if any, HSTV offers individuals for limiting the use and disclosure of their Personal information. Notice will be provided in clear and conspicuous language when individuals are first asked to provide Personal information to HSTV, or as soon as practicable thereafter, and in any event before HSTV uses the information for a purpose other than that for which it was originally collected. HSTV may disclose Personal information if required to do so by law or to protect and defend the rights or property of HSTV.
(2) CHOICE: HSTV will offer individuals the opportunity to choose (opt-out) whether their Personal information is (a) to be disclosed to a non-agent third party, or (b) to be used for a purpose other than the purpose for which it was originally collected or subsequently authorized by the individual.
For sensitive Personal information, HSTV will give individuals the opportunity to affirmatively and explicitly (opt-in) consent to the disclosure of the information to a non-agent third party or the use of the information for a purpose other than the purpose for which it was originally collected or subsequently authorized by the individual.
HSTV will provide individuals with reasonable mechanisms to exercise their choices should requisite circumstances arise.
(3) DATA INTEGRITY: HSTV will use Personal information only in ways that are compatible with the purposes for which it was collected or subsequently authorized by the individual. HSTV will take reasonable steps to ensure that Personal information is relevant to its intended use, accurate, complete and current.
(4) TRANSFERS TO AGENTS: HSTV will obtain assurances from its Agents that they will safeguard Personal information consistently with this Policy. Examples of appropriate assurances that may be provided by Agents include: a contract obligating the Agent to provide at least the same level of protection as is required by the relevant Safe Harbor Principles, being subject to EU Directive 95/46/EC (the EU Data Protection Directive), Safe Harbor certification by the Agent, or being subject to another European Commission adequacy finding (e.g., companies located in Switzerland). Where HSTV has knowledge that an Agent is using or disclosing Personal information in a manner contrary to this Policy, HSTV will take reasonable steps to prevent or stop the use or disclosure. HSTV holds it Agents accountable for maintaining the trust our employees and customers place in the company.
(5) ACCESS AND CORREDSCCON: Upon request, HSTV will grant individuals reasonable access to Personal information that it holds about them. In addition, HSTV will take reasonable steps to permit individuals to correct, amend or delete information that is demonstrated to be inaccurate or incomplete. Any employees that desire to review or update their Personal information can do so by contacting their local Human Resources Representative.
(6) SECURITY: HSTV will take reasonable precautions to protect Personal information in its possession from loss, misuse and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration and destruction. HSTV protects data in many ways. Physical security is designed to prevent unauthorized access to database equipment and hard copies of sensitive Personal information. Electronic security measures continuously monitor access to our servers and provide protection from hacking or other unauthorized access from remote locations. This protection includes the use of firewalls, restricted access and encryption technology. HSTV limits access to Personal information and data to those persons in HSTV's organization, or as agents of HSTV, that have a specific business purpose for maintaining and processing such Personal information and data. Individuals who have been granted access to Personal information are aware of their responsibilities to protect the security, confidentiality and integrity of that information and have been provided training and instruction on how to do so.
(7) ENFORCEMENT: HSTV will conduct compliance audits of its relevant privacy practices to verify adherence to this Policy and the US Department of Commerce Safe Harbor Principles. Any employee that HSTV determines is in violation of this Policy will be subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination of employment.
V. DISPUTE RESOLUTION
Any questions or concerns regarding the use or disclosure of Personal information should be directed to the HSTV Privacy Office at the address given below. HSTV will investigate and attempt to resolve complaints and disputes regarding use and disclosure of Personal information in accordance with the principles contained in this Policy. For complaints that cannot be resolved between HSTV and the complainant, HSTV has agreed to participate in the dispute resolution procedures of the panel established by the European data protection authorities to resolve disputes pursuant to the Safe Harbor Principles.
VI. INTERNET PRIVACY
HSTV sees the Internet, intranets and the use of other technologies as valuable tools for communicating and interacting with consumers, employees, vendors, business partners and others. HSTV recognizes the importance of maintaining the privacy of Personal information collected through websites that it operates. HSTV's sole purpose for operating its websites is to provide information concerning products and services to the public. In general, visitors can reach HSTV on the Web without revealing any Personal information. Visitors on the Web may elect to voluntarily provide Personal information via HSTV websites but are not required to do so. HSTV collects information from visitors to the websites who voluntarily provide Personal information by filling out and submitting online questionnaires concerning feedback on the website, requesting information on products or services, or seeking employment. The Personal information voluntarily provided by website users is contact information limited to the user's name, home and/or business address, phone numbers and email address. HSTV collects this information so it may answer questions and forward requested information. HSTV does not sell or share this information with non-agent third parties.
The practices described in this Policy are current Personal data protection policies as of June 18, 2004. HSTV reserves the right to modify or amend this Policy at any time consistent with the requirements of the Safe Harbor Principles. Appropriate public notice will be given concerning such amendments.